Thursday, March 18, 2010

Progress Update

While working in the shed this evening on my partner's falcon (prepping parts of the car for paint) I got a little done on the E21.

Firstly, using a combination of my die grinder and a stone wheel, along with a wire brush wheel, I got rid of most/all of the surface rust on the left hand side of the boot interior.

Then, I applied a rust/converter and primer - this works by wiping down the surface with a wet rag (and leaving it damp) then brushing on the chemical which then begins a process through which it turns the bare metal (and any remaining small rust particles) a blue/black colour. The converter I have said "for best results" to apply a second coat after the first become touch-dry, and then spritz with water around 20 minutes after the second coat.

Tomorrow, or on the weekend, i'll further follow the instructions for this by sanding back with p80/120 sandpaper and then spraying with etch-primer or a new product I got today called prime-all (which appears to be a fantastic primer, as it's capable of being used on concrete, tiles, timber, and a whole plethora of other surfaces) This will then be left in primer until the rest of the boot is ready for paint and will then be covered in the top-coat colour just for the sake of uniformity.

As part of this process I also removed the factory jack (Which is a really cool design), the factory wheel chock, and spare tyre/tyre cover.

I've also started on the interior removal. The rear speakers have been removed and will be returned to my brother (when I remember to do so!) The rear parcel shelf carpet has been removed, along with the rear seat (both base and back). I've also removed the speaker and antenna wiring that had been run to the rear of the car. Anything needed back here will be re-wired later on.

It's been said before by others, but i'll say it again - removing factory sound deadening is a bastard of a job! I've spent the better part of an hour on the wall behind the rear seat and so far only approximately a quarter of the deadening is gone. To compound this it looks like BMW had glued a factory insulative layer behind the rear seat consisting of a material looking suspiciously like fibreglass. I'm not 100% that it IS indeed fibreglass but i've been playing it safe (and really want to get the few bits out that strands of this are glued to, so I don't have to try not to cover myself in it)

I spotted another small bubble of rust on the passenger side near the rubber trim (behind the door) - add that to the list I suppose! One thing I will say is that i'm glad we are going down the race/rally car track and not the restoration track - with this rust it would make a proper restoration a nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment