Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Wires, wires and more wires!

Just spent three hours untaping a whole Falcon worth of looms. We won't need anywhere near the whole lot, so this will make the process of removing the unneeded wires much easier.

These photos show a LOT of wires, but it doesn't even come close to conveying just how many are here... just wow.

Progress Update

So, I have made some decent progress on the wiring today. Got the parker and low beam switch worked out, wired up and tested working all ok. Got the reverse light wired to the falcon gearbox and tested working all ok. Got the brake light switch wired up and working with the BMW pedalbox.

Took a quick snap of my daughter Scarlett putting the wiring through its paces - she loves playing with buttons and switches etc :)

Next job was to get the control panel wired before I start doing the motor loom. I've had the panel in the car for some time (I believe there are more photos down below of this), but nothing had been connected. It's now wired and back in the car, so I can start setting up relays etc for the various functions I have placed on this board.

Sunday, November 25, 2012


Finally made a start to the wiring on the car over the last few days.

Since I started, I eventually tracked down a PDF wiring manual http://www.jtresto.com/e21/ETM_1979.pdf, but initially I went through with a battery charger and connected individual pins to determine which wires for the rear lights were which. I was a bit hasty removing the original wiring from the car so this was cut off at the base of the back seat. Once I'd determined which wires were for what, I extended them (with the original loom, which I still have, as I figured I'd need the connectors - thank god I did that - more on that later!). I am going to run the relays for everything in the car at the passenger footwell. I'll be putting a bar to stop passengers from being able to kick anything loose. The Battery will be in the boot and the master switch will be in the centre console near the hand brake and shift lever so either the driver or passenger can turn it off.

I dug out the engine bay loom and untaped it, then seperated out everything except the two headlight and indicator loom wires, shortened the ground wires and put terminals on them, and then extended this wiring and ran it also into the footwell.

I joined the front and rear indicators, and parker wiring together, and tested that I had all the things I wanted (I don't think I need a horn, I don't have a horn switch anyway) --> Headlights, Parkers, Indicators, High Beam, Reverse Lamps. I also ran the wire to the footwell for the rear demister. I don't know if I'll need it but it's easier to run the wiring now than to leave it until later and have to find/run it.

Then (and this is where keeping the connectors comes in) I tried to work out how the combination switch (High/Low and Left/Right indicators) works - turns out there is a (very proprietary) 12 pin plug (approx) and inside this plug these switches have both their pins wired; so you need to find BOTH matching pins to be able to use the switch. It's probably not a massive surprise for those of you who have done this sort of thing before, but it sure makes using a multimeter to work out which wires are used very time consuming - in the end I gave up and tracked down the wiring diagram mentioned above.

I've also cut back the loom for the hazard switch, and will be connecting that as well; it will get it's power (fused) from in front of the master switch, so the hazards can still be run in any incident where the rest of the power has to be cut off. The fuse should protect it from any other dramas though.

I taped an E-series flasher unit to a couple of relays, and have wired up the relays for the indicators/hazards, now I have to wire the indicator light into the hazard switch and connect it and the combo switch up for a test run. Once that's done, lights are practically done (N.B. I still have to work out the dash lamp wiring, but I'll treat that as a different job I think!)

Thursday, November 8, 2012

No news, so I'll post some photos instead!

Bonnet and front back on; almost forgot what it looked like!

Worked out that my sunroof actually opens! All along, I'd only thought it was a tilt roof as it just clicked like a ratchet when trying to turn the handle the other way (although it went too far past closed and seemed odd that there were rails for it to open right up). Managed to give it a bit of manual persuasion (pusing down and back on the top of the roof while winding the handle) and it opened. Once it got past the initial difficulty, it opened very easily and freely. It's still a bit stiff at the extreme point of closing or opening but I think that's just the interior trim catching on the frame, so I'll have a go removing that and then see if it's any better. Since the car will have limited ventilation when it's done, being able to open the sunroof will be a massive benefit for airflow through the car.

Had a stuck front wheel bearing or brake rotor corroded, to the point my normal method of moving the car (ride-on lawn mower) wouldn't move it, and you couldn't turn the wheel by hand. Hooked up one of the other cars in the yard (Ford Fairmont, also powered by a 4L I6) and it started moving no worries. Seems to roll fairly freely now so I'm going to assume it was just corrosion on the brake rotor from a bit of water.

Finally, here's a quick video of my (now retired) EB with the motor that currently seems destined to end up in the E21: