Saturday, July 12, 2014

Dual Exhaust Completed

Since I didn't post one with the last post, here's a photo of the car with the front bumper re-fitted using metal brackets as the factory intended.

A few weeks ago, I relocated the fuel pump to the fuel cell bracket via a 90 degree full flow -8AN feed and a hose clamp. The feed fitting holds it in place and the hose clamp will stop it from vibrating the fittings loose. It's now much louder, however that also means I can hear if it struggles (I couldn't easily before as it was isolated from the cabin by its mount and the rubber hose I'd wrapped it in).

This is also a much better gravity feed than the 5/16" ID hose I was using previously.

My xForce 2" straight through mufflers turned up in the post.

Not stainless, since that would mean I'd need more wire for the welder! (not to mention cost more!)

I borrowed a ute from work and picked up some 2" exhaust tube from the local ABS outlet.

I cut up the original 2.5" exhaust we made temporarily back in this previous post: and welded the flange to the flex joint.

Then, with the help of some spare axle stands, positioned the 2.5" hotdog resonator kindly donated to the project by Tim Knowles (cheers mate!)

I cut the original exhaust up each side of every bend, this way I could test each bend in numerous orientations to make it fit as well as possible.

Here, the flex pipe is connected to the hot-dog. Unfortunately the hot dog burned through quite a few times, I assume due to the carbon build up as it was a used item and hard to clean inside because of it's construction.

I had the assistance once again of Shaun Harman; always willing to lend a hand on any metal-related projects. Note the pipe bender I intended to use to form the 2" pipe for the tail section.

Another two bends joined together, this one a pair of slight offset kinks (one larger than the other) to get the pipe up and past the differential housing without fouling a halfshaft or the tailshaft.

Shaun fabbed a mount and welded it to the pipe. The mount bolts to the standard front position saddle fuel tank mounting locations (since the saddle tanks are no longer fitted to this vehicle)

Flange cut at the correct angle and welded as close to the floor of the vehicle as possible.

Center section completed.

Started splitter from 2.5 to 2x2" by cutting two sections of 2" pipe at 45 degrees, joining as a 90 degree then cutting the corner off.

Weld penetration on the inside.


2.5" adaptor peice made - perfectly round on one side, finished on the belt sander and cleaned of burrs

And a matching oval on the inside.

Welding the two together.

Close up of the weld. Not perfect, but functional. I'm noticing how much easier it is to work with clean metal (well duh!)

Shot showing the inside of the splitter.

Here you can see I tried to press bend a piece of pipe rather unsuccessfully. I decided to pie cut the pipes at a small angle. Here I've already cut the splitter pipe at the same angle to get the curves started.

Lots of short, random length peices cut at the same small angle, finished with file and belt sander and cleaned with acetone.

All layed out.

Here's a rough idea of what I'm going for.

Tacked the splitter to the flange, then tacked a number of pieces to the splitter.

This one is pretty much ready for the muffler!

Here you can see the pipe which goes back down past the diff toward the other side of the car. I removed and fully welded occasionally so I didn't end up with the whole thing facing the wrong direction.

Here's the completed setup. The pipes currently mount by use of a hose clamp around the pipe just prior to the muffler on each side, which is placed through the tie down loops. The top of the mufflers sit against a rubber that's factory above the normal exhaust mounts. I haven't welded mounts onto the pipes as yet.

Stainless 2"-2.5" angle cut 8" exhaust tips from ebay look the goods.

From behind - click this image for a higher resolution version - you can see the bottom of the pie cut section showing under the vehicle.

Whoops - here's a video:

No comments:

Post a Comment