Monday, February 6, 2012


Just a quick update. Haven't done much at all on this in the last few weeks.

I've had one of the potential engines for this project sitting on a borrowed engine stand. Have to give it back in the next day or so, so I welded up a little skid to put the engine on to allow it to be moved around the shed.

I sold another ECU (an auto one) and used the money from that for the wheels and steel, plus some scrap bits from another project.

Also, I've decided how I'm going to attack the tailshaft:

I am going to machine down the big end of the splined shaft at the gearbox end of the tailshaft, to allow it to slip neatly inside the BMW tailshaft, then it will be welded all the way around. I've already cut the BMW tailshaft (much longer than it needs to be still, this is really only for sizing and so I can test fit, once I've machined the yoke I'll be able to fit it all up in the car and get it spot on before I cut.

Here's the yoke with the uni-joints cut off to make machining (in a lathe) a bit quicker [note the aluminium angle in the vice jaws to stop the vice from marking the yoke]:

No comments:

Post a Comment